Buddy

Buddy
My Buddy

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What was for Dinner?

I planned on posting this last night, but didn't get around to it, so here goes!

Summertime means grilling and we try to make as much as we can out on our grill. Last night we tried "Pizza Turnovers". Here is the recipe:

Pizza Turnovers
(Betty Crocker's Great Grilling)

1 can (10 oz) refrigerated pizza crust dough
1/4 cup spaghetti sauce (I used Italian Sausage and Garlic)
6 oz sliced smoked turkey (I used Amour Turkey Pepperoni)
1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/2 cup)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh or 2 tsp dried basil leaves
2 tsp. olive or vegetable oil
3/4 cup spaghetti sauce

Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.

Roll pizza crust dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch square. Cut dough into four 6-inch squares. Brush half of each square with 1 tablespoon of the 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce to within 1/2 inch of edges. Top with turkey, cheese, onions and basil. Fold each square in half over filling; press edges to seal. Brush both sides with oil. Place turnovers on double thickness piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Do not wrap foil around turnovers.

Cover and grill turnovers 4-6 inches from MEDIUM heat about 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Place spaghetti sauce in small pan and heat during last 10 minutes of grilling.

Serve turnovers with 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce.

The verdict: Very easy to make, needed more filling for my taste. You may want to adjust your heat to low. After about 5 minutes on medium, I could smell them starting to burn so I went out to flip them, they were ready! But problems always arise when trying new things... the neighbor girl wiped out on her bike right in front of my house so I ran to her aid (I wanted to get her out of the road). I hollered for Chuck to flip the turnovers, but by the time he did, they were burnt. I patched up the kid and sent her on her way. Chuck pulled the turnovers off the grill before the other side burned. After smothering them with sauce they were okay, but I think we need a do-over to truly appreciate them. This is a nice light meal that would be great paired with a tossed salad.

DaniLynn

No comments:

Post a Comment