Buddy

Buddy
My Buddy

Thursday, June 23, 2011

And a new journey begins....

Some of you may know that I have been struggling with my weight my whole life. Add arthritis, limited mobility and food addiction and you have a deadly combination. Back when I was working (up until 1999), I was 125 pounds lighter than I am now. Since I quit working and smoking, it seems the pounds just continue to add on. I try to be as active as I can, but I'm still limited in how far I can push myself. At home, my workout might include a half mile walk or 5 minutes on the elliptical trainer, but then I'm down and in pain for 2 days. Chuck bought me a Wii and the games I asked for to go with it. Progress was still slow because of the pain. Since the weather turned warmer, the pain has eased a bit and I am able to walk more often without so much pain, but of course the rain has to come along and mess with me! Then there is the food addiction... I will do go for a long time with eating the right things and the right amounts, the I will have a dish of ice cream or a piece of cake and it's all over. That's all I want to eat! Yesterday for lunch I had some chips with dip and a bowl of ice cream... no substance, just junk... and for a snack later, I had a rice krispie treat. Sad, I know.... Don't get me wrong, I love love love fresh fruits and veggies and I could eat them all day, but nothing beats Triple Peanut Butter ice cream!

So here's where the new journey begins. We are officially members of a fitness club. We have access to all the equipment 24 hours a day. I don't intend on going to the gym at 3am, but at least I know I can go when it is convenient for me. I'm a bit scared about the unknown... the pain, the new environment, the pain.... but it's time I do this for myself. Taking the weight off would help ease the pain in my joints and keep me around to watch my nieces grow up and spend time with my family. Wish me luck on this new phase in my life!

Danilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment